Monday, June 8, 2009

No "BurpBack" Education!

I think that Dr. Strange makes a very rigorous point. I can honestly say that half the material I was taught in grade school went in one ear and out the other. It seemed like an ongoing process for me to simply memorize the material, take the test and then a month later I couldn't tell you what it was that I had "learned." With today's fast growing and high-tech use of the Internet, any fact you need to know is just a click away. I don't believe teaching the test is an effective method for teaching students. For one, teachers aren't able to use their individual talents and skills to help students learn. They are forced to teach the material and that is it. Students aren't challenged or given a chance to really express themselves and learn while doing it. Students need to be able to think outside the box. Engaging students in group discussions, activities and projects can trigger them to think in several abstract ways. This is what teachers need to incorporate in the classroom for successful learning, rather than simply just teaching the test.

No comments:

Post a Comment